April 10, 2015 • Vol. XXXVIII, No. 6
A Race of Ice and Fire
Hannah Deuling, 131, readies herself for the start of the 25K during the 2015 Buckwheat Ski Classic on March 28. Deuling, 16, won first place int eh women's division with a time of 1:34:14. Elise Giordano
Top Stories (now posted)
•Legislative cuts trickle down to Southeast ; Cruise ship passenger tax, the marine highway, and education all taking large hits.
•State Street traffic causing distress for pedestrian.
• Fisheries committee proposes hatchery in Skagway.
• Daylight Savings Time slash would affect tourism industry.
ALASKA HAUNTING - Meredith Schmidt films a scene on the set of “Alaska Haunting” inside the cooler at The Red Onion. Elise Giordano
• BOROUGH DIGEST: New trapping ordinance passes first reading; Port Commission to seek FY15 Tiger Grant for Gateway; Outdoor Arts Facility fees and guidelines;Disposal of municipal lands ; Shuttle service to Dyea.
• ARTS BEAT: Upcoming Events and classes for April; Outdoor Arts Facility news.
• SPORTS & REC: - 2015 Buckwheat Ski Classic a Success
Next issue is April 24, 2015 (deadline: April 20).
• Skaguay Alaskan 2015 Visitor Guide advertising rates & info (pdf) Call 907-983-2354 or email us if you want an ad in the 2015 Alaskan. DEADLINE APRIL 10. Alaskans are distributed by our Newsies daily to the cruise ships and at locations all over Skagway and the region. You can link to the Alaskan's list of local attractions and more at the bottom of this page. Look for our new book of Alaskan historical features and photos, Skagway: City of the New Century.
Annual Subscriptions Outside Skagway and Dyea: $45 second class Alaska, Canada's Yukon, and Lower 48 (slowest method) - $55 first class anywhere in North America (fastest method) - $65 first class elsewhere worldwide. Local subscriptions (Skagway PO Boxes) are $30. To subscribe, call 907-983-2354 with your address and credit card information, or mail a check to The Skagway News, PO Box 498, Skagway, AK 99840.
Single copy price of The Skagway News is $1.50 retail. Add another $2 for postage if all you want is a single issue mailed to you.