May 10, 2013 • Vol. XXXVI, No. 8
Golden Ferry Love Affair
Members of the Skagway community greet the MV Malaspina at the ferry terminal on May 5 in honor of the Alaska Marine Highway System’s 50th anniversary.
Photo by Katie Emmets
Top Stories (now posted)
• Summit mayors unite, agree to disagree on road issue.
• Unusual ‘spring’ weather causes problems all over Skagway
• AIDEA unveils more detailed plans for future ore hauls.
• Finlayson quickly learning the rail business
WORLD CLASS – The state champion robotics team from Skagway poses with the emcees at the World Festival in St. Louis after receiving the second place Core Values Inspiration Award. Follow Team Arthridroids’ thrilling adventure in this issue. Greg Clem
• ROBOTICS BLOG: Post from an inspiring week with the Arthridroids in St. Louis.
•ARTSBEAT: SPOTLIGHT ON MUSIC SCENE - Return of Joseph Stephensn's monthly column. Hot Toddies heat up the Station, explain musical backgrounds.
• SPORTS & REC: Cochran, Cox off to fast track start, River Quest sign-up deadline is May 15.
• OBITUARY -John "Pappy" Brodersen.
Next issue is May 10, 2013 (deadline May 6)
• Skaguay Alaskan 2013 Visitor Guide advertising rates & info (pdf)Deadline for 1st edition was April 10; paper appeared May 2 on streets of Skagway and will be inserted in May 10 News. Call 907-983-2354 or email us if you have a new business and want an ad in the second edition (deadline June 25).
You can link to the 2013 Alaskan's list of local attractions and more at the bottom of this page. Watch for our new book of Alaskan historical features and photos, Skagway: City of the New Century, coming later this month from Lynn Canal Publishing! Official launch day will be May 31 at Skaguay News Depot & Books!
Annual Subscriptions Outside Skagway and Dyea: $35 second class Alaska, Canada's Yukon, and Lower 48 (slowest method) - $45 first class anywhere in North America (fastest method) - $55 first class elsewhere worldwide. To subscribe, call 907-983-2354 with your address and credit card information, or mail a check to The Skagway News, PO Box 498, Skagway, AK 99840.