November 27, 2013 • Vol. XXXVI, No. 21
Book Fair Little Readers
Emily Willis reads the back of a Captain Underpants book to her son Yonder, left, as she holds her daughter, Lupine, during the Book Fair last week at the Skagway School library as part of American Education Week. See more photos on page 5 of our print edition.
Photo by Katie Emmets
Top Stories (now posted)
• Skagway resident jailed after shooting girlfriend; woman stabilized, in Seattle hospital; man charged with second degree assault.
• Like it or not, health care act changes are here; panel attempts to guide residents through maze.
• Port Commission wants state DOT to have input from Skagway on new floating ferry dock design.
SNOWY WALK – Skagway School student Dawson Clem walks a path through several inches of new snow that fell on Skagway Nov. 21 during the first significant snowfall of the year. By afternoon, however, most of it was gone or turned to ice. - Jeff Brady
• BOROUGH DIGEST: Manager hiring process to begin this month; P&Z forwards community garden definition.
• SCHOOL REPORT: New girls' basketball coaches; Switch on for LED lights.
• SPORTS & REC: Cox wins thriller to take Brandon Pilot Tourney title match; Volleyball team snags a couple wins at home; YRQ registration opens.
Next issue is December 13, 2013 (deadline Dec. 9)
• Skagway News 2013 publication schedule & advertising rates (pdf) - 2014 rates unchanged - 2014 schedule now available.
• Skaguay Alaskan 2013 Visitor Guide advertising rates & info (pdf)Deadline for both summer editions has passed. Call 907-983-2354 or email us if you want an ad in the 2014 first edition (deadline April 10, 2014)
You can link to the 2013 Alaskan's list of local attractions and more at the bottom of this page. Look for our new book of Alaskan historical features and photos, Skagway: City of the New Century, now available from Lynn Canal Publishing!
Annual Subscriptions Outside Skagway and Dyea: $35 second class Alaska, Canada's Yukon, and Lower 48 (slowest method) - $45 first class anywhere in North America (fastest method) - $65 first class elsewhere worldwide. To subscribe, call 907-983-2354 with your address and credit card information, or mail a check to The Skagway News, PO Box 498, Skagway, AK 99840.