May 15, 2015 • Vol. XXXVIII, No. 8
Kennedy Cox, left, Kelsie Cox, center, and Olivia Tranel, along with a full crowd, put their hands together during a performance by Irish rock band Scythia at the Dedman Stage on May 8. Elise Giordano
Top Stories (now posted)
• No changes made to Skagway’s summer ferry schedule
•Local rivers see largest eulachon run in 40 years
• Port Commission seeks floating dock for phase one of Gateway Project
• Mineral Services and AIDEA fixing issues at Ore Terminal
• Cody Jennings named new tourism director
• SDC broadens initiative for local artists
ON BROADWAY- SUBMITTED BY Joshua DeFisher; @transientshenanigans.
Sled dogs catch a breath of fresh spring air in early May. Submit a timely photo, complete with details, taken in or around Skagway for your chance to be featured on the front page! Email submissions to email@example.com
• BOROUGH DIGEST: Senior Ad Hoc Committee receives draft of needs assessment; Fiber optic cable at Smuggler’s Cove approved ; Outdoor Arts Facility named Dedman Stage; Skagway Small Boat Harbor fees and rental agreement ;Shuttle service to Dyea approved.
• ARTS BEAT: Arts Council in need of volunteers; North Words slots still open.
• SPORTS & REC: - SHS Capital City track invitational.
• SCHOOL BOARD: - Thought Bots travel to California; Superintendent receives doctorate.
Next issue is May 29, 2015 (deadline: May 25).
• Skaguay Alaskan 2015 Visitor Guide advertising rates & info (pdf) Call 907-983-2354 or email us if you want an ad in the 2015 Alaskan. First edition now on streets. Second edition deadline is June 20. Alaskans are distributed by our Newsies daily to the cruise ships and at locations all over Skagway and the region. You can link to the Alaskan's list of local attractions and more at the bottom of this page. Look for our new book of Alaskan historical features and photos, Skagway: City of the New Century.
Annual Subscriptions Outside Skagway and Dyea: $45 second class Alaska, Canada's Yukon, and Lower 48 (slowest method) - $55 first class anywhere in North America (fastest method) - $65 first class elsewhere worldwide. Local subscriptions (Skagway PO Boxes) are $30. To subscribe, call 907-983-2354 with your address and credit card information, or mail a check to The Skagway News, PO Box 498, Skagway, AK 99840.
Single copy price of The Skagway News is $1.50 retail. Add another $2 for postage if all you want is a single issue mailed to you.