August 15, 2014 • Vol. XXXVII, No. 14
Tlingit Canoe Connects kwáans
Members of the Haines/Klukwan North Tide Canoe kwáan paddle their red cedar dugout canoe into the Skagway harbor on Wednesday afternoon after a five-hour journey from Haines, connecting the two communities by Tlingit canoe for the first time in more than 100 years. See feature story and more photos on back page of our print edition.
Photo by Jeff Brady
Top Stories (coming later this week)
• Broken rod at switch caused train derailment; WP&YR down 3 days
• Second big summer earthquake causes ACS service outage; cable fully repaired within four days
• West Creek Hydro MOU approved with more borough control, public vote requirement
• AIDEA meeting sets parameters for Gateway Project
• Recent deer sightings in area surprise locals, ADF&G
This deer was photographed at the junction to the Dyea Flats road.
Courtesy of Eric Hosford
• BOROUGH DIGEST: Municipality sends letter to ACS about poor service; New fines for alcohol, noise, ATV parking; Assembly approves additional Skagway School funding.
• SPORTS & REC FEATURE: Yukon River Trail Marathon sees sun, grizzlies and 15 Skagwegians.
• NATURE NUGGETS: Mosquitoes: the necessary nuisance.
• HEARD ON THE WIND: Wind on the water...
Next issue is August 29, 2014 (deadline: Aug. 25).
• Skaguay Alaskan 2014 Visitor Guide advertising rates & info (pdf)Alaskans distributed by our Newsies daily to the cruise ships and at locations all over Skagway and the region. You can link to the Alaskan's list of local attractions and more at the bottom of this page. Look for our new book of Alaskan historical features and photos, Skagway: City of the New Century. Call 907-983-2354 or email us if you want an ad in the 2015 Alaskan.
Annual Subscriptions Outside Skagway and Dyea: $45 second class Alaska, Canada's Yukon, and Lower 48 (slowest method) - $55 first class anywhere in North America (fastest method) - $65 first class elsewhere worldwide. Local subscriptions (Skagway PO Boxes) are $30. To subscribe, call 907-983-2354 with your address and credit card information, or mail a check to The Skagway News, PO Box 498, Skagway, AK 99840.
Single copy price of The Skagway News is now $1.50 retail. Add another $2 for postage if all you want is a single issue mailed to you. Local subscriptions are now $30 per year.