TIP: See map on back page to help you find these attractions!
MUSEUMS & EXHIBITS
Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park Museum Exhibits. The park has many exhibits in its buildings around downtown Skagway (see page 12).
Corrington Museum of Alaskan History. This museum located at Third and Broadway adjacent to the old Golden North Hotel tells the history of Alaska from pre-historic times to the present. More than 40 engraved walrus tusks and other exhibits detail events that shaped the evolution of the 49th state
Jewell Gardens and Garden City Glassworks. This show garden developed on the site of the historic Clark Farm just across the Skagway River bridge has grown in recent years to a showpiece of the “Garden City of Alaska” for tours and special events, including weddings. It also includes a new glassworks demo theater/factory.
Klondike Gold Fields Dredge. Five minutes from downtown, located along the river about a quarter-mile after crossing the bridge, this new attraction features a reassembled gold dredge that worked the Sixtymile District near Dawson City. It first arrived in the north in Skagway in 1941 and was transported on the railroad and steamers to the Klondike. It was transported back to its home port of Skagway in 1999-2000. Gold panning, brewery and restaurant too.
McCabe Bldg. – Skagway Museum and Archives. Located at the east end of Seventh Avenue, this granite building was constructed in 1899-1900 as a Methodist college-preparatory school and was later sold to the federal government in 1901 when legislation provided public schools for Alaska. It served as the U.S. Court House until obtained by the city for a museum and offices in 1956. The U.S. Marshal’s office, the U.S. Commissioner’s office, and the jail occupied the first floor. District Court was held on the second floor in the former chapel of McCabe College. In 2000, the City of Skagway celebrated its centennial at the McCabe Building, which has served as City Hall and Skagway Museum since 1961. After a two-year renovation project, the museum moved back into the first floor and city offices into the second floor. Across Spring Street is Veterans Memorial Park with a World War Two Quonset Hut and a monument dedicated to Skagway servicemen who lost their lives in World War Two and the Korean War. Nearby on the Seventh Avenue boardwalks are a Gold Rush Diorama and information panels on the Garden City of Alaska and Alaska Native culture. Across Pullen Creek on a trail leading south to Sixth Avenue is a panel about the old Pullen House, a grand early hotel with nothing left in the woods but its stone fireplace and chimney.
Skagway Sculpture Garden, Eighth and Spring next to Veterans Park. This unique outdoor garden of sculpture and Alaska art has been amassed by private collector Bob White and is now available for display and tours. Featuring the works of Sandy Scott and 11 others.
Skagway Public Library, Eighth and State. Read about the library’s history from its organization through the Skagway Women’s Club to present day. Old Skagway newspapers available to read. Rotating displays in the glass case in entryway.
The Gorge Bridge. Located high above the Tutshi River at Mile 20 Klondike Highway, this attraction includes a swaying bridge across the chasm and outdoor museum exhibits about this unique area of the world.
Skagway Centennial Park. Located at First and Broadway, this park features the city’s Centennial Statue of a Tlingit packer leading a prospector up the trail in 1897, Rotary Snowplow #1, a time capsule, monuments, orientation signs, covered waiting area, water fountain, benches, and native plants.
Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park – Skagway Historic District. Visitor Center at Second and Broadway (see page 12).
Pullen Creek Park & Streamwalk. Park between the small boat harbor and the railroad depot is a nice area for picnicking and fishing. King salmon run begins in late May, followed by pinks in August and silvers in September. A new streamwalk follows the creek. At one time the school managed a hatchery on the creek, and it was even named Alaska Vocational Education Program of the Year in 1989. In recent years, salmon brood stock have been released at the pond and harvested by Juneau’s DIPAC hatchery.
Footbridge to Yakutania Point & Smuggler’s Cove. Skagway’s beloved footbridge is located south of the airport terminal (see map). The bridge takes you over the Skagway River to this beautiful area of waterfront trails, exercise course, picnic spots and our cherished Pet Cemetery.
Mollie Walsh Park. Located at the east end of 6th Avenue, this small play park is a great area for “letting the kids loose” while you browse. It was named for a woman who befriended miners on the trail at Log Cabin. A bust was placed here by long lost lover Packer Jack Newman after Mollie left with another man and met an untimely death.
Gold Rush Cemetery & Reid Falls. Located about 1.5 miles from the Historic District. Head north on State Street until you see the sign just before the bridge. Follow signs a half mile past the railroad shops to the graveyard. A cemetery guidebook can be purchased in town which tells the history of the cemetery and some of the characters buried therein, including desperado Soapy Smith and town hero Frank Reid. The falls, named for Reid, are a short walk up the hill.
Seven Pastures Park. Located just across the Skagway River highway bridge and also reached by the Pat Moore memorial footbridge, this large park features two softball fields, a soccer field, a disc golf course, bike-cross area, picnic grounds, and the new Dedman Stage that opened in 2015. Watch for signs about music acts at this outdoor facility this summer.
Skagway Overlook. This turnoff and platform, located at Mile 2 on Dyea Road, affords a wonderful view of the downtown area, waterfront and peaks above Skagway (see geography section). It was originally built by the U.S. Army during World War Two.
Dyea Unit – Klondike NHP. The Dyea valley is accessed by an 8-mile mostly gravel road from Skagway. Turnoff is at 2.1 Mile on the highway. Narrow Dyea road is not recommended for long or wide vehicles. It passes a turnoff to Yakutania Point (Mile 3) and swings around Nahku or Long Bay (Mile 5), home of the remains of the bark “Canada” (seen at very low tides), and then winds around the point to the old townsite. Dyea was as large as Skagway during the gold rush, but all that’s left now are a cemetery and the scattered remains of a wharf and buildings in the old townsite (see Dyea article and photos on page 26).
Favorite stops are the Chilkoot Trail head, Dyea Flats and Slide Cemetery, where 40 graves bear the date of the Palm Sunday avalanche on the Chilkoot Trail in 1898. Free guided “Dyea Townsite Tours” by park rangers begin at 3 p.m. Monday-Thursday, June-August. Pick up a map at the Dyea Ranger Station and meet at the first parking area (old townsite) on the road to the flats (first left after the steel bridge).
If you continue on the road out to the Dyea Flats, stay on marked roadways. There is a new information kiosk about the flats environment with photos of what the area looked like during the gold rush. The Municipality of Skagway controls most of the flats from the trees to tidewater. There is a small campground in the trees with a self-registration kiosk. Stay in numbered sites.